Sunday, June 14, 2015

Head Light


I felt like blowing off a little steam at the table with nothing in particular, so I scribbled this out and threw some ink and (digital) paint at it.  I call it "Head Light" and I did it just because I needed to.  I haven't drawn and inked anything in a couple days, so I needed to make sure everything on me didn't cover itself in rust to the point I wouldn't be able to draw when I need to.

I've spent the last couple days thumbnailing pages for a comics project.  I'm not at liberty to talk about a lot of it right now, but I will say that it's a collaboration, it's for a pitch to a publisher, and it is the first time I've ever worked on comics from a written script.  It's a new process for me, has its own unique challenges, and makes me realize how much I've bent my own unique process to fit me and only me.  None of this is bad, I'm enjoying some aspects of the process and figuring it out as I go.

Anyway, a skull with a candle in it is the result of all of this.  Sometimes you've just gotta work out a sketch just because.

2 comments:

Javier Hernandez said...

Best wishes on that pitch!

And I agree, working from someone's script is a whole different experience when we're used to doing the entire story ourselves. For me it's always a battle between interpreting what's written, and not trying to second guess the writer's directions! Well, if I see a better way to interpret the scene, while not changing the writer's intent, I might take it. But keeping open communication helps, too.

Phil Rood said...

Thank you, Javi!

Yeah, we talk a lot, so we're at that place where the script is mostly a vehicle for the story, but I'm able to take some liberties with interpretation. He's not so precious about it that he can't let a single word go. It's all new to me since I'm used to "writing" my comics visually, via thumbnail sketches, and tailoring each page to how I want and the story needs to be drawn. Collaboration is always a different beast in that way.