Sunday, June 7, 2015

Airborne


Today, I put my pens to work for Illustration Friday again.  This time, the prompt was "Airborne", so I went to work on the Winged Monkeys from the "Oz" universe.

I am not an Oz fanatic or a superfan.  I think it's a fascinating, fun world, and I really dig the darker parts of it.  I love the movie's use of winged monkeys, sentient apple trees, and the urban legend of the Munchkin suicide. 

I'm not an overly nostalgic person.  I don't love things from my childhood just because I still see them through that lens, but the "Wizard of Oz" is a slight exception to that.  I'll always have a fond childhood memory of that movie because it was a television event in the days before home video.  When I was real young, we did not own a color TV.  We would go to my cousins' house to watch it so we could see the transition from black and white to color, since they did (and presumably still do) own a color set.  My cousin, Deanne and I would hide under blankets whenever it got a bit dark and we'd laugh and joke about it all.  It was really a fun time to hang out with my cousins and a great way to experience the film.

(this image is available as a print by clicking HERE)

No comments: