Friday, August 22, 2014

Tyrannosaurus Rad


I've recently started playing around more seriously with grey ink markers to do black and white illustrations.  For the past couple weeks, I've been experimenting with them in all aspects: How to best apply grey tones, which markers/inks to use, process of drawing the actual page, realization that I have to go back to erasing(ugh), process of digital cleanup(that's the toughest part for me)...  But I like what I've been making.  I love that I'm spending more time working on paper than on a computer, I love the finished and clean artwork that exists on the page when I'm done, and I love the textured feel of the grey on my linework.

This week, I practiced by drawing a T-Rex on a skateboard... because that's what I do when I have the freedom to draw whatever I want.


This is the rough pencil of T-Rad.  I put bristol over top of this on the lightbox and draw a much cleaner, lighter pencil version on the bristol.  Then I ink over top of that, erase the pencils, and add the grey.


A few other greyscale drawings I've been working on in the past couple weeks:





1 comment:

Javier Hernandez said...

Really, that's the best way to learn and get better. Hammer away at it as if you're at a rock quarry... Hammer, hammer, hammer!

The big hairy guy has some nice tones blended in with the black inks.