Monday, November 11, 2013

the Lawrey Kids: Mito Heroes

If' you've been following my blog for awhile, you probably remember the work I did with Gavin this past spring.  If not, you can read about it here.  In short, Gavin is a 6-year-old pile of awesome who has spent most of his life fighting Mitochondrial Disease.  He created himself as a superhero named Mito Action G and I drew it for him.  We did this as a fundraising tool, and also as a fun thing for Gavin... and me.

Now, Gavin's 9-year-old sister Makenzie has written a book about Mitochondrial Disease, her brother, and the way their family deals with it.  She's doing this book as part of a fundraising effort she is spearheading to try to raise $1 million to help fund research for a cure for Mito.  It is an exceptionally written book, to the point that I have to remind myself when reading it that it is written by a 9-year-old.  It is able to explain what Mitochondrial Disease is in terms that are easy to understand, and it gives you a chance to know real people who deal with it and how it affects them.



I offered to contribute illustrations to the book if needed, and I am very proud and happy that Makenzie welcomed me to the project.  It is a great project to be a part of and I couldn't be more excited about it.  The work I've done with Gavin and Kenzie's family is some of the most rewarding work I've done of any kind for anyone at anytime in my life.  It is a big privilege to work with these exceptional kids.

If you'd like to help out the Lawrey family there are many ways to do it:

You can buy a print of Hershey the Seizure Dog or a Hey Diddle Diddle poster from my store
(proceeds from those items benefit the Lawreys)

4 comments:

Creations By Mit said...

Can't wait to see the book when it is done!!! Sounds like an amazing project to be a part of!!

Javier Hernandez said...

Yes, I concur with the previous comment. The rewards you've been getting from this project, Phil, must be exceeding your expectations. Best wished on seeing this project through.

Phil Rood said...

Thanks a lot Mit and Jav, you're both right... this project is great and I'm so stoked to be a part of it... this is a cause I can really get behind, and to be able to do what I love and be able to help people is so rewarding. I recognize that not every artist gets the opportunity to do this, so I feel very fortunate about it. Thanks for weighing in.

worldwidehealth said...

This comment has been removed by the author.
Rating Therapist