Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Weary Traveler


"I am a traveler of both time and space" from Led Zeppelin's Kashmir  is maybe one of the coolest lyrics in all of classic rock, and it's the one that inspired my Illustration Friday entry for this week's topic of "Travel".

I know I haven't done an IF entry in quite awhile but the topic was on my mind this weekend and I wanted to find something fun to do.  I started one completely different, but once I started inking it, it just wasn't coming together.  At about that time, I was listening to a Kashmir  cover by a tribute band called Lez Zeppelin that a friend had recommended to me and I heard that lyric.  The rest of the concept came fairly easily after that.  I did a sketch, moved quickly to pencils and then spent quite awhile inking all the details.

Details are what makes this kind of illustration fun to do.  I love cartoons where you can look at them for quite awhile, picking up the subtle details in them as they jump out at you.  That's what I tried to do here.

3 comments:

Creations By Mit said...

Love it! Especially the Tang!!! The gear shifters, "I love Mars" mug, & the laser gun holster slung over the back of the chair were great touches, too! (As well as the drool!) I love finding different details like that hidden in an illustration. So fun!! True eye candy.

Javier Hernandez said...

It's great that you were inspired by a song. Music always seems to help me as well, regarding creating art.

And yeah, that 'Tang' reference fits well with the space theme, as well as identifying you as an old fart! (Takes one to know one!!)

Phil Rood said...

Thanks guys, I'm glad the time spent on the details was not in vain... and yeah, Javier, it takes a certain age to appreciate the Tang reference in there, I'm glad we're all old farts enough to get it...