Monday, March 25, 2013

Swim For Your Life

Ever have a day like this?

I had a few hours to kill last night while waiting for clients to get back to me, so I thought I'd hammer out a quick Illustration Friday entry.  This week's topic is "Swim".  I do a sketch a day on the surface of my art desk and when I saw one that I had done on the bottom right hand corner, I decided to refine it and use it for IF.

 I've always liked the types of adventure stories that follow this theme of the hero escaping a dangerous situation just to find themselves in an even worse one.  Think of stories like "The Empire Strikes Back": From the very beginning of that movie, things go from bad to worse and that continues through the entire movie.  It keeps you invested and tense as a viewer.  While my drawing is quite a bit less-refined storytelling than "Empire", it's that same basic concept of escaping a bad situation and heading straight into another.

The original art(seen below, scanned in 2 pieces) is for sale:

"Swim For Your Life"
original art
ink & blue pencil on 11" x 17" bristol
$50.00

3 comments:

Creations By Mit said...

Awww!! Poor little fishy! But I have confidence our hero will overcome adversity! (Both of them!!) Great expression on these guys!!!

artepacja said...

Very funny... that's real life!!!

Phil Rood said...

thanks, glad you liked it! And yes, some days this is very much like my life!