Saturday, February 23, 2013

48th BN

 One year ago today, our family lost Ed Ferris, my wife's grandpa.  He was just shy of his 100th Birthday.  Colonel Edwin "Moon" Ferris was a great man who was a good friend to me and was loved and respected by everyone who knew him.  He was a great patriot, WWII hero, and the head of a great family.
Ed was also an artist and cartoonist, drawing for the West Point publication "The Pointer" when he was there in the early 1930s.  Later, when he commanded the 48th Tank Battalion, he designed the Battalion crest.  Last year, after he had passed away, my Father-in-Law came across the crest and decided he wanted to have some stickers made up of it for the family.  He did not have a quality image for reproduction, so he reached out to me and asked if I'd be willing to kind of remake the image so he could get it printed.  It was a job I was flattered and honored to do. 


This is how it turned out.  I would hesitate to call this a collaboration between Ed and myself, since the artwork was all his.  This is his design and his artwork, I simply re-"inked" it(digitally) and recolored it.  I did it as a vector graphic so that it could be scalable to any size, and also because the line work tends to be a bit cleaner than mine that way.  It was also a little easier to keep more of Ed's original work in tact that way.

It was a great project to work on and I am happy to have been a part of Ed's artwork in a small way.  It helps to carry on his legacy as a soldier and as an artist.

We miss you Col Ferris.


No comments: