Sunday, February 17, 2013

Armed & Dangerous


 It's been awhile since I posted anything new, so I made sure to take some time out this weekend and draw something new to post.  What I came up with is this guy, a barbaric Viking with a gun... don't ask why, just let it be fun...

This is really just me sketching out ideas I've got for a possible future story to tell.  I first sketched this guy a couple weeks ago while chilling in my recliner... A little different from this new one, but the idea is there.



To keep you oup to date on everything else that's going on, I've been tapped to illustrate a children's book by Outskirts Press.  It's a big reason that I haven't been posting here lately.  I got the initial description for the book and the illustrations a couple weeks ago, but there were some issues.  The author is reworking the layout now and I'm waiting on that.  I've gone ahead and done some character design work and some page layout sketches based on what I've seen in the first go round of the book, that way I've got kind of a jumping off point when the final draft comes in.   I think this book has a lot of potential for letting me produce some great art for it and I think the project will be a lot of fun.

Thanks for checking in and come back often for updates.

4 comments:

Javier Hernandez said...

The increased bulk to the character in the newer drawing helps define him a little better. The full beard's a nice touch, too. Since you've got the absurdity with the gun and ancient weapons, a more exaggerated design for the character feels right.

It'll be cool to see your work on the children's book once it's time to share!

Phil Rood said...

Absurdity is the name of the game Javier, thanks a lot for your thoughts on this...

I'll be happy when I'm no longer governed by NDA and I can share the work that's gonna go into this book. I think it's gonna be a lot of fun.

Creations By Mit said...

Oooh! Love the first guy, too (although I could have done without the photo of your feet. I hate feet. I skip the feet-touching parts in my weekly yoga class...but I digress....) But LOVE the exaggeration (read: BULK) and action of the new guy! He is a lot more nimble than one might expect!

Phil Rood said...

Sorry(?) about my feet... I can't help that they're at the end of my legs... I don't think they're gross, I just think they could be improved by having opposable thumbs on them like apes... then I could draw with my feet too... think of how much more productive I would be then!

Anyway, thanks for the good words on both my drawings... your input is always valued Mit!