Sunday, September 23, 2012

Monster Alphabet: Unicorn



Unicorns?!  On the MONSTER Alphabet?!  Unicorns are the stuff of fantasy role playing and Middle School girls' Trapper Keepers... they're not MONSTERS... right?

This is what I wrestled with in deciding whether or not unicorns belonged in a series about monsters.  Are they monsters, or just mythical creatures?  So I researched a bit.

Turns out that unicorns are mythical beasts, but can also be very dangerous creatures.  They are reputed to have great strength and are supposed to be wild creatures that are nearly impossible to capture.  But there is one way.

In legend, a virgin laying under a tree would attract a unicorn who would come over to her and that's when it would be able to be captured... but if the girl under the tree was only pretending to be a virgin, the unicorn would know and would brutally kill the girl.

Personally, I think this is just a story that fathers told their daughters to make sure they kept their pants on, but it reveals a very brutal and monstrous side of the unicorn myth.  For this reason, the unicorn has earned its place in the Monster Alphabet.

We're closing in on the end of the series.  Only 5 more letters to go, so stay tuned!

2 comments:

Creations By Mit said...

Wait - I left a BIG comment for this!!!! Where is it??? Darn it!! Guess I'll have to try again, though I can't remember the witty things I said last time!

Anyway... Love this guy. Why? Because I just love that unicorns can be portrayed as edgy, and a bit savage....not all rainbows & butterflies & sappy sugar! Imagine the creative father who came up with the preventative tale of getting impaled by a unicorn!!! His expression is fantastic!

Phil Rood said...

I get my comments bounced by blogger sometimes too... I don't know what the glitch is, but it's irritating.

I really liked making this guy more of a tough looking character too.