Monday, September 17, 2012

Monster Alphabet: Ropen




Maybe it's because I really dig dinosaurs that I chose the Ropen to represent "R" in the Monster Alphabet.  I like the idea that dinosaurs still exist as monsters in some parts of the world, so when I was researching "R" monsters and found this one, I immediately thought about how fun it would be to draw it.

Ropens are basically pterosaurs that have been sighted in modern day Papua New Guinea and some other Pacific Islands... and, in a couple odd cases, South Carolina in the US.  These monsters are thought to inhabit caves in mountains and volcanoes.  Ropens have been reported to glow when they flew, and it's thought that they did that to attract fish, their main food, to the surface of the ocean where they can pick them off and eat them.  They were also known to eat human corpses and were supposedly attracted to funerals and graveyards, especially before the use of coffins to bury the dead.

While this all seems far fetched and out there to think that dinosaurs have survived somehow, I like the idea that there are still places in this world that are so remote, and still belong to nature to a point that ancient animals have survived and remained unchanged by evolution... also, I think pelicans are cool, and Ropens are sort of like mutated pelicans.

In any event, hope you enjoy this entry of the Monster Alphabet, and that you are on the lookout for glowing, flying dinosaurs...

3 comments:

Javier Hernandez said...

Was not aware of these Ropen thingies! One never knows.... :D

Phil Rood said...

I'm finding a lot of obscure monsters just in having to find certain ones to fit some tough letters. This project has turned into a cool learning experience for me

Creations By Mit said...

Love this guy! I'd not heard of these either! The expression on the fish is priceless!!! Really good movement in this one. I'm waiting to hear the 'splash!'