Monday, September 3, 2012

Monster Alphabet: Igor



I is for Igor... which raises the question: is Igor really a monster?  He's a deformed human, which suggests that he's not a monster, he's a human.  But he does perform some monstrous acts, such as grave robbing and stealing body parts, which makes him a sort of symbolic monster.  In any event, he's a mainstay in monster culture, being present in Universal horror movies, knockoffs, and spoofs for years and years.  

He's a hunchbacked lab assistant/butler, but is he such a bad guy?  Maybe he is, or maybe he's just a misunderstood weirdo.  In any event, this character has earned a place in my "Monster Alphabet" series.

4 comments:

Javier Hernandez said...

Ha! This is the most I've ever read about Igor. And I never thought about the fact of he was a monster! Food for thought. He's certainly part of the whole monster lore, but as you pointed out, he's one of 'us'. Hmmm. Now I'll be thinking of these larger philosophical questions regarding Igor....

Phil Rood said...

haha! Glad I could spark some "deep philosophical thinking" with my inclusion of Igor into the Monster Alphabet Javier!

Creations By Mit said...

Ha ha! I'm gonna go with "misunderstood weirdo" which counts as a monster in my book! LOVE the goofy expression and the teeth! And the contrast of Frankenstein's more serious look. You hit this one out of the park!

Phil Rood said...

Thanks Mit, glad you liked it!