Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Monster Alphabet: Frost Giant



The newest piece of the Monster Alphabet series is the Frost Giants of Norse Mythology.  These giants lived in Jotunheim, one of the nine mythical realms in that Scandinavian folklore.  They were the enemies of the gods, but here, I decided to show him chasing a Viking warrior who is shouting one of my Norwegian grandfather's favorite expressions.

This was kind of a tough design for me.  I needed to make him tough but not too over the top, and I wanted his beard to look icy, but still not too jagged and hard edged.  I think at the end of the day, I want these to be fun, not disturbing.  I think I found the middle ground pretty well between making it look tough and making it look fun.  The giant UFF-DA doesn't hurt either!

1 comment:

Creations By Mit said...

This one was really interesting for me, as I'd never heard of this kind of giant! I think you did a great job reaching middle ground with this. While he's not apt to give me screaming night terrors, I sure as heck wouldn't want to come face to face with him! (fortunately he looks like he doesn't run all that fast!)