Sunday, June 3, 2012

In a Hurry

 One of these bandits is in a hurry, and one of them is more concerned with making sure he doesn't trip over his shoelace and look like a dumbass.  As always, I had fun making this piece for Illustration Friday's topic of "Hurry!".  

I really enjoyed the black and white line art, and considered leaving it uncolored.  I think it works on its own good enough, but then I figured it would look better with some cool, old school colors.  I colored this one with a color palette of the 64 colors that were standard in comic books back in the day.  These are old-timey crooks, so I thought that an old-timey palette would suit them well.  The only thing I cheated on with that was in using a multiply layer for the shading.


9 comments:

Cindy D. said...

Nicely done! I like both versions but those colors really are great.

Claire Wildish said...

A VERY funny approach to the theme!

Phil Rood said...

thanks a lot to both of you for checking this out and commenting. I really appreciate it!

Frišna said...

Love the mustard you picked for the background. It gives nervous vibes.

Phil Rood said...

thanks for pinpointing it... I tried a bunch of different background colors. I couldn't pin down why, but this one felt right! Thanks

Divya said...

This is hilarious! the colours worked great!

And thanks for stopping by at my blog :)

Phil Rood said...

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it!

Etudesque said...

This is a hilarious take on the theme! They've got priorities you know - 'safety first', they always say, and that includes not tripping over your shoelaces :P

Phil Rood said...

it's right up there with "don't run with scissors"! Thanks a lot!