Monday, April 30, 2012

D. B. Cooper

This week's Illustration Friday topic is "Jump" and I decided to use a great American true crime story to illustrate it.  D.B. Cooper is the name of the guy who hijacked a flight for $200,000 then dove out of the plane with a parachute and disappeared into American pop culture.  The reason this story always fascinated me was because it was that rare story where reality was a case that could have just as easily been an implausible movie plot.  

Fun fact:  Though he was initially thought to have not survived the jump from the plane, the FBI has kept the case open and the case file has grown to 60 volumes.

Thanks for checking out this fun sketch piece... Please check out my store for charity with all proceeds from sale of the original art, prints and posters there going to benefit Gavin Lawrey.  He's a local 4 year old boy who's family is raising money to pay for medical costs including a Seizure Dog for Gavin.  You can read about him and his fundraiser HERE

Thanks a lot, check back often!

6 comments:

Rita said...

What a fabulous tie in to the word of the week. Very clever and original and great illo, too. I love the tough guy look on his face.

Phil Rood said...

Thanks Rita, glad you liked it!

Creations By Mit said...

Great illustration for this tale! Love the movement and his look of determination! Really cool!

Phil Rood said...

Thanks Mit!

AHAviews said...

Certainly heading SOMEwhere very fast! Choice of background colour is very sixties. Intentional?

Phil Rood said...

Not really intentionally thinking '60s, I was just looking for a cool, flat blue for the sky and I think I just got lucky... I think it works out that way once in awhile since I work in flat colors so much... Thanks for checking it out!