Monday, March 26, 2012

No Pythons Allowed

OK, so a little background for my Illustration Friday "Swamp" entry: There's a phenomenon in the Everglades right now because of the number of pythons and constrictor snakes that are now there. They are not native to Florida, and are there due to irresponsibly released pets who have established themselves in the swampland. They are taking unbalancing the entire ecosystem there. My idea of the best solution is this: The Skunk Ape(our version of Bigfoot) deciding to kick ass and throw the snakes out of his swamp... Sort of a hairy, primate version of St. Patrick...

You can buy the original inks below. I'll even include the pencils for this piece!


"No Pythons Allowed"
ink on 11" x 14" bristol
$30.00(plus $2 shipping)







8 comments:

Sylvia Liu said...

Hee hee. I love the expression on the snake's face. Very nice illustration, and I did hear about those invasive snakes.

Phil Rood said...

Thanks Sylvia!

Sheryl McClure-Pitler said...

great expressions on their faces! Also, nice original drawing. I always feel it's important to start w/ a good sketch.

AHAviews said...

That's fun! Holding my breath that branch will hold his weight. Met a fellow in the Everglades who catches the pythons, tucks them in his shirt and carries them out. Now THAT's dedication.

Creations By Mit said...

GREAT characters--so expressive!! That ape is PISSED!!!

Phil Rood said...

Thanks a lot everyone for your great feedback! I really appreciate it and you guys checking out my work! Also, I agree that stuffing a python into your shirt is total dedication. I'd just send in the ape...

atlanticmo said...

I don't usually feel bad for pythons. Poor guy.

Phil Rood said...

It's the law of the jungle... er swamp. And since he's being thrashed by a mythical creature, he's only being hurt if you believe in the Skunk Ape