Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Master of Suspense


This week's Illustration Friday topic is "Suspense". I thought it only fitting that I profile the Master of Suspense, Alfred Hitchcock. I am a longtime fan of Hitchcock's iconic work and have always thought he earned every letter of that title.

I travelled outside my comfort zone for this one as a did a couple things I don't normally do. First of all, I drew an actual person. I'm not a big likeness artist, and I tend to struggle with making someone look "right", but this one actually came together alright and I think I've captured the essence of Hitchcock... the bird on his shoulder doesn't hurt with that either.

Secondly, I did all the shading with markers. I tend to do everything that isn't black digitally, but since this was going to be black and white anyway(it seemed fitting) I decided to make it a finished piece with a couple grayscale markers.

The finished piece is available(with free shipping) on my store page.

Thanks for checking in.