Sunday, January 29, 2012

Boot Camp: Week One




For this week's Illustration Friday topic of "Forward" I decided to do a comic for the first time. It spun out of the natural enough "Forward... MARCH!!" that sprung into my head when I saw the topic. That lead to memories of USMC boot camp many years ago and the realization that Marine Corps D.I.'s seem during the first few weeks to be like cartoon characters themselves... insane, nightmare-inducing cartoon characters. They are loud, in your face, monstrous beings capable of exploding in your general direction because you're unable to do things that you have not yet been taught... it takes a few weeks to see them as being multi-dimensional beings who really are molding you. This modest 3-page comic is a nod to those terrifying first few weeks.

Thanks for checking it out, and check back in later.

Semper Fi.

5 comments:

Angel said...

Awesome! Great details and illustrations! He's scaring the hell out of me, guess he's doing his job.

Phil Rood said...

Thanks Angel! They all scared the hell out of me back then too... I'm glad I was able to channel it and pass it onto someone else

Edward Baueris said...

Nice work. Love the froth :D

scrapperjen said...

Another fantastic cartoon! Great job with the topic

Phil Rood said...

Thanks Jen!