Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Peace Offering

"Peace Offering" is a drawing that I started probably a year ago and never finished. I got all the way to having it colored and shaded and went to do revisions on it... and never finished it. Something about it just didn't fit right. I think all in all, I knew I was capable of doing better work than that. So I put it away and moved on.


Early this week, I got a hair up my backside and decided to completely redraw that illustration. I changed it a little bit, all for the better I hope, and I was right. I think that, aside from the fact that I've improved overall from a year ago, this is just more of what I am capable of instead of the older version, which was me pretty much phoning it in.


Overall, I'm glad to see this piece come out well, but I'm even more encouraged that I am able to spot when I'm doing sub-par work and can call "B.S." on myself and demand that I do better work. That's good news since I'm the only one who can force improvement upon myself.

2 comments:

cheesepirate said...

This is great, and I love the animals you do. Congrats on taking another step forward, too - feels pretty great, huh?

Phil Rood said...

Thanks a lot A. Yeah, it is sweet when you realize that you're progressing, it's a great motivator for me