Sunday, October 2, 2011

Hibernation

This week I found myself falling into a spot of dumb luck--which is how most of my luck happens. This week's Illustration Friday topic is "Hibernate" and it lends itself to a follow up on what I did last week.


This week we find the outcome of that fateful standoff, with the Norwegian barbarian helping the bear into an early hibernation. Another weak tie-in with the illustration friday topic, or pure genius? You decide...

This week, I did all of my pencil work digitally in Sketchbook Pro with my bamboo tablet. I love the software and think it's a great way to do your concept sketches and pencil work. I made it to size, then printed it out on a couple sheets of paper.


I put my pencils under a piece of bristol on my poor man's lightbox and did the ink work. This is new for me, but I really liked it because at the end of the inking, I had no need to erase, no ghosted pencil lines, no non-photo blue lead, no ink lifted off the page by an eraser, no distressed bristol from having to be tough with an eraser on a pencil line. There was nothing but pure black and white ink on bristol, and there's a real appeal to that.


Thanks for looking and check back soon.


5 comments:

scrapperjen said...

I love it! I'm about ready to hibernate for the winter...

Jules said...

Hahahaha, good one!

Honza said...

Nice one Phil, love the viking themed illo's, nice colouring. I used to live in a place called Berserker, but there were very few berserk vikings there...

Brine Blank said...

The dumb luck comment was hilarious...me too...great illo!!!

Phil Rood said...

thanks a lot everyone... I appreciate you checking this out and your great feedback!