Monday, March 28, 2011

Wisdom(?)


"Wisdom" is a drawing I've spent the past week or so working on for an important client that I happen to be married to. I drew an owl for a recent book I've illustrated(details coming soon), and my wife remarked how much she liked the way I drew them from various sketches and the final product. Finally she asked for a full color drawing of an owl, and I came up with this one. Sort of an "odd couple" of birds, with a crazy one, and the grumpy one. You know the types that get paired together...


I had a lot of fun putting this one together from the ground up. The inks on bristol(below) were a bit time consuming, but fun nontheless. The challenging part for me is always coloring these pieces, and finding just the right palatte. I think I got it right on this one with cool, monochromatic scheme with just enough to break it up, like the orange eyes.



Thanks for looking. Let me know what you think and check back often.