Monday, March 7, 2011

WARNING! WARNING!

"Danger Will Robinson! Danger!" How could I resist the Lost in Space Robot for this week's Illustration Friday topic of "Warning"?! I used to watch reruns of this show when I was a kid, and even though I recognized it as being a bit cheesy, I liked it. It had some good characters throughout the show, Robot here being second only to Dr. Smith. It's not surprising that they were also the only two good things about that horrible movie adaptation that was made a few years back.
For those of you whose first exposure to a boy finding a friend in a cold unfeeling robot was Terminator 2, you should know that Lost in Space did if first. This guy was there as a servant to the Robinson family, but he usually went off with Will Robinson, the boy genius of the show, and served as his protector and friend, all without an ounce of emotion. It was actually a well written character.
This was a great deal of fun, but I also found it to be a bit frustrating as well. Trying to get those dryer vent arms right on this guy was tough, and to some degree, they ended up a bit messier than I would have liked them to be. In the end though, I don't think this is bad and I post it as tribute to one of the great forgotten characters of all time.
Thanks for looking and check back often. I've got news on projects as well as new items coming up for sale soon.

4 comments:

bonnie jean said...

HA HA, of course, the classic warning I like it!

Jack Foster said...

OMG! This was the very first thing that popped in my head. I think that's a few times that you've done that Phil! Great minds think alike. I love your robot! You really hit it dead on with some of the details... NICE!

Phil Rood said...

Yeah, Jack we seem to be on the same page a lot lately... I feel good knowing that I'm not the only one whose mind went there first.

Richard Ewing said...

I must admit, I went there too, and almost stayed... but turned left at the last minute.

Nice job.