Monday, January 31, 2011

Doc Ock to the Rescue


I've been off the grid again lately, but that doesn't mean that I haven't been working. This is one of the projects that I've been chipping away at in the past couple weeks. Sketch Magazine is holding a contest to draw a villain performing a heroic act. I drew Doctor Octopus from the Spider-Man comics rescuing a cat from a tree and entered it. While this may seem like a very minor heroic act, keep in mind that it's all relative. I wanted to make him look pretty old school, with that ridiculous haircut and costume and his obvious thickness, but I like the more contemporary arms and claws that come from the movie and the newer comics, so I worked those in as well. All in all, I think it turned out pretty well.


In other news, I've finished interior pages to a book I've been illustrating for author Susan Ferris. More to come on that later (hopefully soon) as we get closer to publishing. This has been a fun and exciting project to work on and Susan has been a great author to work for as well. She has been patient with me and given me pretty much free range creative control over the book's drawings and how it will look. It's been a really positive experience and has me looking forward to doing more along these lines.


Thanks for looking and check back soon... I'll try and update you more often.

No comments: