Friday, October 15, 2010

Spoooooky!

I love this time of year, closing in on Halloween. I'm not a slasher movie fanatic (love old John Carpenter movies though), and I'm not one of those guys who dresses up every year and spends small fortunes and months building the perfect costume for parties and Trick or Treating. Instead I love this time of year for the excuse to draw some darkly fun/scary/monster-themed pictures. Illustration Friday gave me the go ahead this year with their theme this week of "Spooky".
This piece asks who will get the drop on who. Who will scare the already nonexistent life out of whom? Will it be the former nobleman/current ghost occupying the mansion, or Death himself, who's using his homemade old school Halloween (jack o')lantern to look for his buddy. That's what I got out of making this drawing, but my son looked at it and took the Grim Reaper for a trick or treater. I can see that too, so we'll call this a piece of legitimate fine art and leave it up to interpretation.

I thought a lot of what makes this drawing work is the blue tinted color pallatte that I used throughout it. I included the partial line art here to compare it to so you can see the full effect that the colors had on it.

Thanks for checking this one out. I had a great time doing it and I hope you like it as much as I do. Odds are I'll be doing some more Halloween-themed art, so follow my blog and check back in often.


3 comments:

Nicola Temple said...

Great ghostly body positioning...he's clearly plotting something.

Adam Foster-Fahy said...

I agree with Nicola, I can practically hear the evil cackle...! I think that the black anh white one is more effective that the colour one, I think the large areas of flat colour would be better broken up with some simple texture overlays or even just gradients?

Really nice lineart though.

Adam Foster-Fahy
www.AdamFF.com

Missy said...

This is great, if anything I feel for that pumpkin, he looks pretty darn scared.