Thursday, October 7, 2010

Sara's Oz

Another dive into the pool full of watercolors as I'm on the road this week resulted in this piece I made for my niece, who is obviously a HUGE fan of The Wizard of Oz. I put her in this drawing, replacing Dorothy, just as I suspect she's always wanted.
While I admit that this painting is not technically as proficient as most watercolors you may have seen, I was happy with the end result in the way everything fell onto the page. I think the composition of this one is very good, with the visual weight pretty evenly distributed. I also used this to practice character and gesture. Everyone know's the Oz characters well enough to know how they should be portrayed in an image. From the goofy brainless Scarecrow to the heartless(and in this case, slightly cynical) Tin Man to the Cowardly Lion and my silly, goofy niece Sara, they're all doing what comes naturally to them here.
Being on the road and away from my work station and work computer has been a good for me in terms of these exercises. I'm stretching my legs outta my comfort zone in order to get done what I want to get done, and that includes some more traditional media like this. I'm still able to pencil some comic pages, but I want to make sure that I keep on using this opportunity to do some different kinds of work too, before I'm back at my desk with my computer giving me guilty looks to get some work done...
Thanks for looking and check back soon.

No comments: