Sunday, March 14, 2010

Subterranean

This week's Illustration Friday topic is "Subterranean". Tough to spell, tougher to see in, hence, my wandering blind mole. Pretty fun cartoon to draw, but I did run into some challenges. I like to use flat colors and shading, which is why I work in Illustrator so much, but it does tend to flatten everything, so in this drawing, where I wanted to show a lot of depth in the tunnel, I had to use some other methods to do it, instead of a gradient or the detailed grayscale work you can do in PhotoShop.

You can see on my pencil sketch, that depth is a little easier to come by with pencils and a variation of grays. But the linework also works to show depth, so that's what I used in Illustrator. Not hatching, but simulated brushed ink strokes, climbing up the walls of the tunnel. Along with the different flat colors I used for different sections of the tunnel, and the flat shading, I think it came out pretty well.

Thanks for looking and check back often.

4 comments:

vdelgado said...

I love the perspective! the mole is so cute!

Sascratch said...

Wow one super awesome illo!, love the mole he sure is cool.

k.h.whitaker said...

very nice

Cheori said...

haha very cute! love this! and suddenly he reminds me of the weird old lady crossing guard as a kid... maybe thats what was wrong with her >.< a mole in disguise! haha :) good illustration!